Friday, August 17, 2007

Friday Five

Today's Friday Five:

Below you will find five words. Tell us the first thing you think of on reading each one. Your response might be simply another word, or it might be a sentence, a poem or a story.

1. vineyard
For a few seconds I thought about cheating on this one, doing some thinking and coming up with some deep, meaningful association between this word, the vine, the branches, my life and my faith.

But no, I will stick to the directions.

First thing I think of whenever I see or hear the word "vineyard" is the portion of the liturgy from LBW Setting 2, as the offering and elements are being brought forward (and it's always the Setting 2 version I hear in my head): "Let the vineyards...be FRUIT-FUL-LORD...and fill tothebrim our cup of BLESS-ING..." etc.

2. root
Root canal. No reason in particular--it's just the first thing I thought of.

3. rescue
Right now, my thoughts and my prayers are with the trapped miners and those trying to rescue them in Utah. Especially the families of the three rescuers who were killed last night in a cave-in while trying to search.

4. perseverance
Sweetie. She's persevering big time right now. Every night, she goes to bed knowing that when she wakes up she's going to feel extremely nauseated. Every morning at 4:45 she forces herself to eat something and takes a Zofran for the nausea. Then at 5:30 she has a little something else. Then she gets in the shower and gets ready for work, most often still fighting some nausea. She spends all day listening to other pregnant women complain (she's an RN at an OB-GYN office), comes home, rests, and gets ready to do it all over again.

She's so ready for this part of her pregnancy to be done. But in the meantime she perseveres.

5. divided
"A house divided against itself cannot stand." --Abraham Lincoln
True for nations, true for churches, true for congregations, true for families. Where does one draw the line between dispute and division? Not so sure I can define it, but I know it when I see it.

LH

9 comments:

revhipchick said...

amen to #3. good play. i hope the nausea goes away soon. blessings for your family.

chartreuseova said...

So many tragedies in the world, I'd actually forgotten about the trapped miners and the rescuers.

Terri said...

I hope the nausea goes away soon - it's just insult to injury to have to listen to other women complain while trying to be "professional..."

and, a house divided...hum. I'm actually beginning to think that house, people, churches, that can divide well, that can do conflict well, end up being stronger...and then, of course, they really aren't divided are they?

Erin said...

Neat that we thought of the same thing for #5. :) Blessings for your wife's perseverance and here's hoping you don't develop sympathy nausea!

Rev SS said...

Amen to #3 ... to what Mompriest said about good divisions resulting in more strength and health ... and to end of nausea!

leah said...

Your LBW "Vineyards" for #1 is so cool--I love that, too...wondering why I didn't think of it. And another amen to #3--I'm the granddaughter of a Pennsylvania coal miner, and the reports from Utah have been searing my soul.

DogBlogger said...

Re #3: I keep thinking of my brother-in-law being tapped to do recovery work after a rock slide at a quarry his company was mining. This was in the late 1980s.

Shortly after my husband and I got married in 1996, I saw a very familiar newspaper clipping in one of his family's scrapbooks. Turns out one of the bodies my brother-in-law recovered was my husband's uncle. (No, our families didn't know each other before we started dating in 1992.)

David said...

Root canal...? OUCH!

Marie said...

Awwww, I love #5. Nice way to honor your Sweetie. Great play!