Friday, March 09, 2007

Friday Five

RevGalBlogPals Friday Five: Matters of Taste

My mother loved figs.

I only like them in a Newton.

It's all a matter of taste.

Name five things you like a lot that some close relative or significant other did/does not like. This could be food, movies, hobbies, music, sports or whatever springs to mind.


1) Moxie. It's a soft drink that I l-o-v-e!!!! I love it. Love love love it. HOWEVER, Sweetie and my good friend RevScott share the opinion that it tastes like Robitussin. I did a blog post not too long ago about Moxie--you can read it here.

2) Well, since RevScott mentioned The Statler Brothers (who he loves but I can't stand) I've gotta mention The Carpenters (who I love but he can't stand). Sweetie's with me on this one, both concerning the Carpenters AND the Statler Brothers. Personally, I think most people are closet Carpenters fans, whether they admit it or not...kinda like that scene in Tommy Boy where a Carpenters song came on the radio...trying to act all cool, Chris Farley said, "you can change the station if you want," and David Spade said "that's okay, YOU change it..." then next thing you know they're roaring down the highway together, crying and singing "don't you remember ya told me ya loved me babeeeeeee....ya said you'd be comin' back this way again maybeeeeeee....baby baby baby baby oh baby.....I love you....I really do...."

3) Prairie Home Companion. Love it. Love Garrison Keillor. Love the sketches, the music, the greetings to folks back home from people in the audience, Lake Wobegon, you name it. Of course it helps that just about every Saturday evening from 1981 until 1992 (when I left home for college) my family would have PHC on the radio as we ate supper. Sweetie? Thinks it's both hokey and boring.

4) I love to read, though I don't read as often as I ought or would like. My parents told me growing up that when I was sent to my room for being naughty, they had to specifically tell me "no reading!" as part of my punishment. Otherwise I'd be happy to stay in my room for hours. They couldn't believe that they were actually telling their child not to read, but there you go. Sweetie's not a fan of the whole reading bit.

5) I LOVE keeping score when I go to baseball games. It just ain't a real game if I don't have a scorecard and pencil (preferably a mechanical one). Sweetie wonders why I just can't watch the games. I'm looking forward someday to teaching Kiddo the fine art of keeping score, which was passed down to me from my own dad.

LH

6 comments:

Pink Shoes said...

Great Friday Five -- Thanks for playing! We're a score-keeping at baseball games family, too! I don't do so, but will fill in if needed during a run to the concessions.

Sally said...

great play- some of these are foriegn to me as a brit- but I'm with you on the reading

Dr. Laura Marie Grimes said...

Welcome to Friday Five! Good to have some manly Pals around the RevGal homestead.

Unknown said...

My husband and I have the opposite dynamic where PHC is concerned. I love it, he could live without it.

He does attach a certain importance to Moxie, but it has to do with drinking it on New Year's Eve, in hopes that nothing else as bad will happen in the New Year. ;-)

hip2b said...

Score-keeping at games! I don't, not a big baseball fan but we were talking about how this is an endangered thing at work recently. So in another month or so we're having a tutorial at the library for people to learn how to score.

Scott said...

ahhh - I see you're now doing the Friday Five. Make sure Sweetie sees the comment about "nothing worse happening the rest of the year after drinking Moxie," would you?

BTW, one that you and I both forgot to mention is kipper snacks. BLECCHHH.