- Gerald Ford was one of the most athletically inclined presidents the U.S. has ever had.
- He had a few well-publicized moments of clumsiness.
- These moments were parodied on Saturday Night Live by Chevy Chase with dramatic pratfalls.
- Triggered by the frequency and severity of some of these pratfalls, Chevy Chase developed chronic pain from a degenerative disc disease.
- He was prescribed painkillers to help with the pain, and eventually became addicted to them.
- To overcome his addiction, he checked himself into the...that's right, you guessed it:
The Betty Ford Clinic.