Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Last Night's Fiesta Bowl...wowza!

I'm going to set aside for a moment all of the extra baggage that (for me, at least) went with watching last night's game...the coulda/woulda/shoulda of the Huskers almost beating OU in the Big XII title game, the national perception of the Big XII after OU's loss, the question of BSU's needing a chance at a title shot, Boise State all but eliminating me in my family's bowl pool, all that stuff.

Was that NOT the most FUN game EVER?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Boise State comes in as million point underdogs with fire and fight and spunk. They play toe to toe with OU for almost 4 quarters, saving the trick plays for the very end of the game, then GO FOR 2 IN OVERTIME!!! And MAKE IT on another TRICK PLAY!!! A freakin' STATUE OF LIBERTY!!!!!!

The hook and ladder earlier on 4th and 18, the wacky formation change in OT on 4th and 2, the crazy play on the 2 point conversion...OU falling way behind, then coming back to tie, needing 3 tries at a 2 point conversion...then going ahead on a "little team falling apart on a big stage" mistake by BSU with the interception for a TD...then BSU's march down the field...

Whenever anyone asks me why I follow college football so much more closely than the NFL, it's games like this that I point to. The emotion, the Cinderella story, the momemtum shifts, the amazing endings...

Wow. Just, wow. It's a shame someone had to lose last night. I haven't had that much fun watching a game in a LOOOOOOOOOOOONG time. Maybe ever.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You're not kidding! I couldn't sit down at the end. The NFL never has games that good.