Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Getting to Know You--Holiday Edition

1. Egg Nog or Hot Chocolate?
Egg Nog (rum optional!)

2. Does Santa wrap presents or just set them under the tree?
He just sets them under the tree. Busy guy, you know!

3. Colored lights on tree/house or white?
Depends on the look you're going for. White for the classy, "adult" look, colored lights if you wanna look kid-friendly. Our tree this year has all-white lights.

4. Do you hang mistletoe?
Nope--I don't need an excuse to kiss my sweetie!

5. When do you put your decorations up?
Depends mostly on when we have the time. Ideally for me is the afternoon of the first Sunday of Advent.

6. What is your favorite holiday dish (excluding dessert)?
It's a tie between my mom's meat stuffing and a new favorite, Sweetie's green bean casserole!

7. Favorite Holiday memory as a child:
I think just the whole Christmas Eve/morning routine. With relatives scattered to the four winds, we usually didn't have anyone to visit, so we'd open gifts from aunts/uncles, grandparents, and each other on Christmas Eve after supper, then go to church, then go to bed and try to get an hour or two of sleep before waking up EARLY to see what Santa had brought under the tree and in our stockings. I was always the first one awake, and the rule was we couldn't go downstairs until everyone was awake...I wasn't allowed to do anything to wake up my sister, so I'd just go into her room and look at her until she woke up. Ever get the feeling someone's watching you? Well, it also can happen when you're asleep...usually it would only take 5 minutes or so and she'd be awake.

8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa?
Not sure--I think I was pretty young, but I don't remember when I found out.

9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve?
See #7 for the routine when I was growing up. Now, it just kind of depends on who we're visiting or what we're doing.

10. How do you decorate your Christmas Tree?
It's been different each year, but this year we have white lights, dark red beads, all of The Kiddo's ornaments, and a few of Sweetie's and mine from when we were growing up. We've had to cut back on our ornaments because between the 3 of us, we had so many that if we were to hang them all up you wouldn't be able to see the tree!

11. Snow! Love it or Dread it?
Snow is evil and must be stopped at all costs. The only time it's acceptable for it to snow is on Christmas Eve. Give me half an inch with nice big flakes, let it stay on the ground until January 2nd, then give me a nice couple of days of 60 degree weather to get rid of it.

12. Can you ice skate?
Much in the same way that a toddler can run. Yes, you can call it skating, but potential disaster lurks every time I move my feet.

13. Do you remember your favorite Christmas gift ?
My favorite Christmas gift actually came on December 11, 2003, when The Kiddo was born.

14. What's the most important thing about the Holidays for you?
Reading Luke 1-2, going to church, and singing those wonderful Christmas hymns.

15. What is your favorite Holiday Dessert?
Cranberry mince pie!!!!!!!!!

16. What is your favorite holiday tradition?
Listening to Handel's Messiah during supper each Sunday in Advent, with the advent wreath lit. If you usually take about a half hour for supper, you can get through the whole Messiah in four weeks.

17. What tops your tree?
We have a beautiful gold and silver colored star.

18. Which do you prefer, giving or receiving?
I LOVE to give gifts!

19. What is your favorite Christmas Song?
O Holy Night.

20. Candy Canes! Love them or hate them?
Mmmmmmm....candy canes....especially in hot chocolate...

T.A.(P)D.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

1. Egg Nog or Hot Chocolate?
Hot Chocolate

2. Does Santa wrap presents or just set them under the tree?
He just sets them under the tree. Busy guy, you know! (i agree)

3. Colored lights on tree/house or white?
I've always done colored, because I'm a child at heart...but next year...bring on the white lights!

4. Do you hang mistletoe?
Oh yeah!

5. When do you put your decorations up?
Well this year was like...a week before Thanksgiving...but ideally, Thanksgiving evening.

6. What is your favorite holiday dish (excluding dessert)?
Seven Layer Salad.

7. Favorite Holiday memory as a child:
My favorite memory...it would have to be waking up Christmas morning...that was the most magical time of my life...when you truly believe in Santa.

8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa?
I was 10...and I scared my dad acting as the "tooth fairy" so I finally asked my mom to be 100% truthful, and she spilled the beans...

9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve?
Short answer...no...long answer...we have so many Christmas' and since I don't have children...my husband and I usually do our gifts a few days before.

10. How do you decorate your Christmas Tree?
This year, colored lights, gold tinsel, and a plethora of ornaments. No balls though...i don't like 'em.

11. Snow! Love it or Dread it?
Snow is magical and awesome. BRING IT ON!

12. Can you ice skate?
No

13. Do you remember your favorite Christmas gift ?
My fave gift...that's rough...I've never had a bad Christmas.

14. What's the most important thing about the Holidays for you?
Family.

15. What is your favorite Holiday Dessert?
We only have candy. It's the only time we all make it homemade.

16. What is your favorite holiday tradition?
Watching "A Christmas Carol" on Christmas Eve.

17. What tops your tree?
Colored Star

18. Which do you prefer, giving or receiving?
I prefer to give...I don't much care if I get in return.

19. What is your favorite Christmas Song?
O Holy Night. (me too)

20. Candy Canes! Love them or hate them?
Love 'em. But my fave is Hershey's Chocolate Mint...(sometimes difficult to find, but always worth the search :) )