Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Musical Notes

I've been receiving an education lately. It's amazing what one can pick up by just surfing around random blogs. I've been paying particular attention when folks have been listing their favorite music.

I realized recently that I've gotten into a rut music-wise, which is a pretty easy thing to do, especially when one's petty cash tends to go toward things such as toys for the kiddo instead of toys for oneself. And I've pretty much given up on the radio. Yes, there IS music out there that gets airplay that's right up my alley (such as pretty much anything by Five for Fighting), but for the most part it's crap. There's a local station that plays mostly 70's and 80's stuff, with some 90's and more recent songs thrown in, that I listen to if I have to have the radio on. But after a while, even Hotel California, Rocketman, and Against All Odds begins to get stale.

So as I've perused the blogosphere, I've paid particular attention to music recommendations. And I've picked up some great suggestions...singers or groups I had (mostly) never heard of before, and who have quickly become personal favorites. Some examples that I've begun listening to are The Shins, Teitur, Rachel Yamagata, James Morrison (AMAZING!!!), Matt Caplan, and Great Big Sea (think Irish maritime rock). I've also rediscovered Ben Folds (remember Brick from 8 or 9 years ago?), and Colin Hay. Colin's name may not sound familiar, but you'd recognize his voice immediately. He was the lead singer for Men At Work (yes, of "I come from the land down under" and "who can it be now?" fame) and he's since put out some solo stuff. To be honest, I'm not so fond of the stuff that he's put out with a band backing him up, but there's one album that is pretty much just him and a guitar. It's called Going Somewhere. Good stuff. There's a bonus track on there of a cover of one of his old Men At Work songs--again, the title may not sound familiar, but you're almost guaranteed to recognize the song. It's called Overkill, and was featured on an episode of Scrubs where Colin Hay followed JD around all day playing his guitar and singing the song. The song both annoyed the hell out of JD and constantly reminded him of how uncertain and worried he was, both as a doctor and a person. One moment Colin appeared as a hot dog vendor, the next he popped out of a hospital bed as a patient, etc. Catchy tune, great lyrics, and Colin Hay's voice was made to sing it. Here's the lyrics:

I can't get to sleep
I think about the implications
Of diving in too deep
And possibly the complications
Especially at night
I worry over situations
I know will be alright
Perhaps it's just imagination
Day after day it reappears
Night after night my heartbeat shows the fear
Ghosts appear and fade away
Come back another day


Alone between the sheets
Only brings exasperation
It's time to walk the streets
Smell the desperation
At least there's pretty lights
And though there's little variation
It nullifies the night from overkill

Day after day it reappears
Night after night my heartbeat shows the fear
Ghosts appear and fade away
Come back another day

I can't get to sleep
I think about the implications
Of diving in too deep
And possibly the complications
Especially at night
I worry over situations
I know will be alright
It's just overkill

Day after day it reappears
Night after night my heartbeat shows the fear
Ghosts appear and fade away
Ghosts appear and fade away
Ghosts appear and fade away


T.A.(P)D.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you learn of Great Big Sea from me??? I've never met anyone else who knows who they are!!
Love, your sister

LutheranHusker said...

Hey Sis,

Actually I first heard of them about 5 years ago from someone online that lives near where they're from in Canada. I went out immediately and bought their "Turn" CD...it's the only one I currently own. You sure you didn't hear about them from ME??? lol

Anonymous said...

We have "Play" and love it. I married into it. We actually wore our CD out and haven't been able to buy a new one. We LOVE it! I have "Captain Kidd" on my MySpace profile...
Huh. We have yet more in common. :)