Friday, July 18, 2008

"We're walking, we're walking...we're stopping."

A couple of days ago, Kiddo and I had the chance to go on a guided tour of Memorial Stadium, where the University of Nebraska Cornhusker football team plays. A former colleague of my father-in-law had set up a tour for his family and friends, and had invited my father-in-law, who had then invited us. (Thanks, Bruce!!!)

So of course we went. I wouldn't want to let my son down, right?

Had to do it for my child. Uh, yeah. I really didn't want to go, but I had to do it for him. I mean...the chance to be on the field, to go into the pressbox, to see the new weight room, the training table, the wall of fame with the portraits of the academic all-Americans...I wished I didn't have to be there, in all of these awesome places, in the home of my favorite college football team...but in the end, I decided I'd make the sacrifice.

For Kiddo.

Oh, the things we do for our children. =)

There were about 10-12 adults and about 10-12 kids of varying ages on the tour, which lasted about an hour. Kiddo just took it all in, even asking me a couple of questions about things he saw along the way.

It was a phenomenal afternoon, one that I'll never forget with my son, and perhaps one described better through pictures than words:



Grandpa points out the championship trophies



Kiddo: "I remember that these are important trophies, but I can't remember why."

Kiddo: "Hey! Those look like real footballs, except they're shiny!"


The pillars have the names of every player to ever earn a football letter at Nebraska.
The portraits on the wall are of all the Academic All-Americans.

Kiddo and I in the south endzone

"Daddy! I'm gonna make a touchdown!"

The horseshoe that the players hit on their way out to the field


In the pressbox: "Look, Daddy...I can see the State Capitol!" (Just not in this picture...) =)

"Yes, I'm proud to have been named the Huskers' starting QB for the 2022 season. Next question?"

LH

No comments: