Friday, June 20, 2008

My Church Kids

I love my church kids. They rock. And no, this isn't just an attempt to brownnose them, even though I know a number of them venture over here from time to time--I'd be writing this post even if that wasn't the case. =)

Two examples:

1) We just finished a week of Vacation Bible School. About 150 kids, with about 80 helpers. Of the helpers, about 40 of them were middle or high school kids.

That, by itself, just totally rocks.

There's a longstanding tradition that once the VBS week is over, the middle and high school kids stay to help clean up and tear stuff down, and once that's done...then comes The Mother Of All Waterfights in the parking lot. Today's lasted about 2 hours, in 90 degree heat. Aside from the actual waterfight (which was fun AND refreshing), the really cool thing was that there was really no need for me to be there.

I mean, I needed to be there to spend time with them. I needed to be there just because there really ought to be an adult around...just in case. But I didn't have to play Mr. Policeman--they just had fun throwing water at each other and then drying out and eating freeze-pops when it seemed like it was time to settle down. I was there as the "responsible adult" (no snickering, please) but I didn't have to act the part. I could just enjoy my time in fellowship with them.

Any of you youth who may be reading this...you have no idea how absolutely awesome it is to just be able to spend time with you, without having to worry about so much of the crap that other youth directors I've talked to have had to deal with. Seriously--thank you. It really means a lot to me.

And how cool is it to have a job where I get paid to run around the parking lot throwing buckets of water at people?!?!?!

2) Our high school summer Bible study is one I'm creating from scratch. I've called it Faith on the Radio--The Gospel According to Hits From the 60's, 70's, and 80's. This past Tuesday was our first session, which was on faith and doubt, and how they relate. We looked at Show Me the Way by Styx and I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For by U2.

The discussion had been going great, and after looking at Hebrews 11:1, and the "doubting Thomas" story, we had sort of gotten to the point where we decided faith and doubt were two sides of the same coin. Here's the discussion that followed:

Me: So, I guess we could say that faith and doubt are two different sides of the same coin.

Youth#1: Yeah, they're pretty much opposites.

Me: Now, wait...is doubt the opposite of faith...or is it knowledge...experience...that kind of thing?

Youth#1 and Youth#2: Woah....

Youth#2: Hm. If faith and doubt are two sides to the same coin, then knowledge would be like having both sides of the coin as heads. Because you'd already know what was going to happen, and wouldn't need faith.

Youth#1: That should totally be a Facebook quote!!!!

Me (beaming inside, thinking to myself): This. Is. Fun.

LH

No comments: