Sunday, October 28, 2007

Oh Brave New World!!!


My 3 year-old son will wake up tomorrow morning with the Red Sox having won the World Series twice since he was born.

Unbelievable.

It's weird. There really has been no doubt in my mind since game 5 of the ALCS that Boston was going to win it all, and that confidence has been very disconcerting. I've been trying to visit my old friends pessimism, doubt and dread, attempting to conjure thoughts of curses and collapses and blown leads and the like. But it's all been fake. The closest I could come to that comfortable, familiar feeling of dread was cautious optimism.

I knew Boston was going to win.

I think I know why it feels so...weird...different...unfamiliar...to have expected a Red Sox victory all along: because I imagine this must be what it feels like to be a Yankees fan. (eww.)

Not that I'm complaining, mind you...(if there's any question, just ask Sweetie and she'll tell you I'm downright giddy right now!!!!)

As a lifelong member of Red Sox Nation, I'm proud of my boys. They played with heart, guts, passion, and remembered how to have fun in the process. Way to go guys!!!!

The celebratory Moxie has been consumed, and the can will be properly marked with the date and occasion as soon as I can find our Sharpie.

If I seem subdued, that's really not accurate. More like overwhelmed. Amazed.

Very, very happy. Just treading on some extremely unfamiliar ground.

WOO HOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LH

1 comment:

Scott said...

Congrats to the Boys from Boston. The Sox beat the Rox, on Fox. What a great bunch of Jocks. (Sorry, couldn't resist)

SOOOOOOO unfair that you get to have a world champion to take the place of our beloved Huskers. Think I'm gonna become a Patriots fan.

Seriously, not that this year's Huskers are a great team or anything, but can you remember a more snake-bit season? Bad enough that we're, well, bad, but the bounces definitely haven't been ours this year, either.